10 Tips for a Successful Volleyball Tryout
1. Get there early. Registration lines can be long, and it’s important to warm your arms up. We start on time regardless of when you get there!
2. Don't bring your cell phone into the gym. Coaches don’t want to see you texting when you should be concentrating on volleyball.
3. Go for every ball, even if you know it’s unlikely that you’ll get to it. Even in warm-ups!
4. Make sure you have your number. When you arrive at tryouts, you will be given a number to identify you. Make sure you have it at all times; it’s a good idea to put the number on your shorts so you can wear/ take off a sweatshirt.
5. Don’t talk when the coach is talking – it’s disrespectful and sends a bad message to the coach.
6. Call the ball. This is one of the few things you can control and it is an underrated skill that coaches will notice.
7. Hustle. Be the first girl into the huddle and shag balls with all of your energy.
8. Shake it off! Don’t carry a mistake with you into the next play. A coach can tell by your body language if you’re not over being messing up on the previous point.
9. Be open to stepping into another position even if it’s not the one you’re trying out for. Coaches want players who can adjust and are willing to be versatile if that’s what’s needed to make a drill work or help the team.
10. Give off a positive vibe. Look like you’re having fun playing the game. Smile, be upbeat, support your teammates, enjoy yourself. Coaches like players who bring positive energy to the court.
Bonus: Don’t show up for a tryout wearing a T-shirt from a rival club.